Frank Jansen


Live blog: Italian pro races and tourist version of Strade Bianche cancelled

Yesterday the Italian organizer RCS said pro races Milan-Sanremo and Strade Bianchi (including the gran fondo) would not be cancelled. It turns out this might have been preliminary. Follow the lastest news in this live blog.

  • According to the Italian press office ANSA, the government will prohibited all sports events in which spectators are within 1 meter of each other for 1 month. This news is unconfirmed. This would mean 22 cycling events will be cancelled. More news is expected later today.
  • Earlier this week CycloWorld already reported that the Gran Fondo Citta d'Ancona is cancelled.

Update 9:41

  • The organizers of the GF Stelvio Santini tell us: "Gran Fondo Stelvio Santini has always had a special care for the wellbeing and safety of the participants. The public health situation in Bormio and Alta Valtellina is under control. The area is not considered a risk zone for the coronavirus outbreach. To date the Gran Fondo Stelvio Santini stays confirmed for Sunday June 7th and we have no current indication that might lead us to reschedule/cancel the event. It will be our care to update you in case of any development with regard to the on going situation. We look forward to seeing you in Bormio and Stelvio in June for a new and exciting edition of the Gran Fondo Stelvio Santini!"

Update 11:14

  • 13 pro teams ask the RCS to cancel the Italian races. 

Update 11:45

  • The organizer of the Strade Bianche reports that the pro race and the gran fondo are two seperate events. In other words: when the pro race would be cancelled, this doesn't automatically mean the gran fondo is cancelled as well. 

Update 13:24

  •  RCS thinks the pro races will be cancelled. This is however not yet confirmed.

Update 13:50

Update 14:08

  • Italy closes all schools in the entire country, says 

Update 14:49

  •  The half-marathon of Rome (of which RCS was a media partner) is cancelled. 

Update 14:54

  • Team Jumbo-Visma doesn't wait for the official cancellation and announcnes they will not travel to Italy. 

Update 16:27

  • The organizers of the Strade Bianche gran fondo (for amateurs) lets us know the event will proceed untill further notice.

Update 21:09

  • No more sport events with spectators until the 4th of April, says Sporza. Italian pro races as well as the amateur version of the Strade Bianche are cancelled.

Update 21:28

  • GF Davide Casani is delayed to April 13th. This published on the GF's Facebook page. 


Update 9:06

  • RCS will come with an update on the pro race Strade Bianche this morning, after consulting the local authorities. The gran fondo (for amateurs) had already been cancelled yesterday.

Update 12:16

  • It's definitive: no Strade Bianche pro race this year, says RCS.


Update 06:30

  • The first gran fondo in the United States has been canceled due to the Coronavirus. The organisation of the Sea Otter Classic has decided to move their event to another period. The new data will be announced soon. More info on their Facebook page.
  • Granfondo Valle dei Vini cancelled.

Update 10:30

  • Gran fondo di Vara rescheduled to 24/25 October. 

Update 12:41

  • As expected, the pro races of Milan-Sanremo and Tirreno-Adriatico are cancelled, says RCS. The organizers will continu looking for alternative dates.

Update 15:40

  • For the GF Strade Bianche, a date is sought for the end of October / beginning of November. A decision on this is expected shortly.
  • The date for the GF Milano-Sanremo remains on 7 June, says who are in close contact with the organization.

Update 17:14

  • The situation in the Italian province of Sud-Tirol is under control, officials say. Meanwhile new cases have been identified in Austria, according to

Update 18:42

  • Our Italy editor Henk works round the clock to monitor the latest news. Latest update: GF Garda Bottecchia 22 maart delayed. 
  • GF Golfo Dianese rescheduled from 8-3 to 2-6.
  • GF Paolo Bettini rescheduled from 22-3 to 2-6.
  • Gf Colnago rescheduled from April 5 to October 4.

Update 19:09


Update 8:42


Update 15:25

  • The LTD Gravelfest postponed to 22-24 May, says Laurens ten Dam on Instagram.

Update 18:02

  • GF Citta Porto Sant’Elpidio moved from 22-3 to 13-4.
  • GF Bra-Bra moved from 26-4 to 13-9.
  • GF di Ischia moved from 19-4 to 4-10.

This article is updated.

Fan of CycloWorld!

Become our Ambassador

Do you enjoy coming here, and do you think you can make a nice contribution to CycloWorld? We are always looking for ambassadors who want to help us deliver content.

Related posts